When it comes to living a healthy lifestyle, taking a holistic approach is the best way to do it. You can't choose to eat healthily but fail to manage stress.
You can't exercise 3 times a week but have difficulty cutting back on smoking or drinking. The combination doesn't even make sense.
Ideally, every aspect of your life must follow a healthy trend. This also means doing something good for others and the environment.
Because doing something admirable, such as supporting an animal charity and volunteering at local aged care facilities, will activate the feel-good hormones that will help reduce stress.
If you want to live and practice healthy, you also must put in the effort to eat and snack healthy.
What is the healthiest diet for humans?
Did you know that snacking can have a negative impact on your health? This is especially true if you consume snack foods that are high-calorie and processed items like cookies and chips.
The problem with snacking is that people eat even when they're not hungry because food is available.
A study revealed that obese or overweight individuals choose unhealthy snacks for the top three reasons:
- Response to temptation
- Low energy levels
If this is the case, then the best solution is to change your source of temptation into something healthy.
Why not choose vegan snacks over anything else?
A plant-based diet is beneficial to your health because:
- It is richer in certain nutrients, such as folate, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins A, C and E.
- It supports weight loss, which is why many vegans tend to have lower body mass indexes than those who don't follow the lifestyle.
- It improves kidney function and helps lower blood sugar levels. Plant protein, for example, provides the protein the body needs minus the risk of poor kidney function.
- It provides protection against certain cancers. The risk of colorectal cancer, for example, can be reduced by about 9 to 18% when you eat legumes regularly.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease. Fibre, legumes, and fresh fruits and vegetables lower the risk of high blood pressure and other risk factors of heart disease.
- It lowers pain from arthritis. Studies show that people who switched to a whole-food, plant-based vegan diet experienced better general functioning and higher energy levels than those eating an omnivorous diet.
What is the best way to add snacks into your daily routine?
Prepare healthy homemade snacks.
This is the best way to ensure you're eating something nutritious in between meals. Your stash may consist of nuts, apples, soy yogurt, celery with peanut butter, and carrots with hummus dip.
Eat healthy vegan snacks at the right time and frequency.
To achieve optimal health, snack at the recommended time. Avoid snacking late at night when you should be asleep. Your meals and snacks should be within 10 to 12 hours to ensure you get a good night’s sleep and regulate your eating schedule.
Plan your meals and snacks throughout the day.
Do this with hunger management in mind. This means you don't snack simply because other people are snacking, and only eat when you’re actually hungry.
Most importantly, prepare and eat healthy vegan snacks.
How can you ensure you are eating healthy snacks?
In the event that you can’t prepare homemade healthy snacks, you can still eat healthy with a few simple tips.
Always read the label
Make sure the products you buy are:
- Low in saturated fat and processed sugar
- Low salt content
- Low cholesterol
- High in fibre
- High in plant protein
You can also look to see if the label is suitable for vegetarians.
Buy snacks that are made for vegans
Skinni Snax, for example, offers a crunchy chickpea and soya natural snack in original, cheese & onion, and Thai sweet chili flavours.
Because they come in convenient packs, you can enjoy them in between meals without the need to buy from a vending machine.
Each individual pack is high in fibre, vitamins, and plant protein. It's also low in fat but big in flavour.
Most importantly, educate yourself. Learn more about healthy vegan snacks through various sources. The more you know about the lifestyle, the easier it will be to put its ideas into practice.