The first step in making delicious vegan jalapeno poppers is cutting and de-seeding the jalapenos. Although jalapenos have a reputation for being spicy, the actual spice comes from the seeds, which are removed prior to making the poppers.
To avoid burning the skin, eyes, or other parts of the body, always wear gloves. Then, cut the stems off the ends of the jalapenos and cut lengthwise down each jalapeno.
Next, using the gloves or the sharp edge of the knife, carefully remove the seeds and the veins of each jalapeno piece.
Now, set each carved-out jalapeno halves on a cookie sheet or side plan to prevent rolling.
Vegan Jalapeno Popper Cheese
- Raw Cashews
- Nutritional yeast
- White or yellow miso paste
- Lemon, juiced & zested
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Agar-Agar powder (flakes will also work)
- Adobo Chili pepper
Once the cheese firms up in the refrigerator (about an hour) and hardens, it's time to fill the poppers. Using a spoon, fill each half of the carved-out jalapenos, and sprinkle with the bread topping.
Baking Jalapeno Poppers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, line a baking sheet.
- Bake the jalapeno poppers for 16 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve with your favorite vegan dipping sauce.
Air-Fried Vegan Jalapeno Poppers
- Cooking in batches, place individual filled poppers in the base of the air-fryer.
- Cook at 325 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Repeat to cook all the poppers in a second batch.
- Choose your favorite dipping sauce and serve poppers on a platter or plate.
- Always use gloves while cooking with jalapenos.
- When air-frying, remember the second batch cooks more quickly because the air-fryer is preheated.
- Try to select jalapeno peppers of similar size, so they cook evenly
- Prepare the poppers up to two days before cooking
- When freezing poppers, cook them first